Skip to main content
Main Content

⚠️Building A Guide To Engaging Roleplay(Input needed!)⚠️

⚠️Building A Guide To Engaging Roleplay(Input needed!)⚠️
Posted 2024-08-28 16:52:58 (edited)
Not sure where to put this but I'll put it here since it's out of character and about rp?  Now onto my actual post!

My Project

I am working on building a comprehensive guide to roleplaying! I don't know everything- I never will- so I thought I'd ask for other peoples' inputs! You can PM me privately if you want to view the guide as I work on it to offer input or just see what I think! Constructive criticism is approved of!

What I Want To Know

You don't have to answer all of these if you don't want to! I'm just curious!

1. How would you define rp?
2. Why do you rp?
3. What makes a good rp response? Any specific aspects? Why do they help?
4. What are some of the unspoken rules of rp you know?
5. Go ahead and give me any other thoughts about rp you have! I'll listen!
6. Are you okay with me using your input in my project? If so, would you like to remain anonymous? Would you like me to credit you? (alias only unless specified otherwise)*

*Alright the last one is a required question if you answer any of my questions above. I don't want to miscredit anybody or make anybody uncomfortable seeing as this will be on multiple websites when I complete it!

Posted 2024-08-28 19:54:52
2. It helps me output my emotions better, helping me also stay busy through overwhelming situations and dealing with stuff in my life, all my ocs are a small reflection of me and how I feel inside. And it helps. It also helps me get my creative side out! I usually have a lot of random ideas for ocs or rps that pop into my head, either based on something I've seen, heard, or read. But they are mine nonetheless!

4. Maybe not so unspoken but definitely needed. Wait until someone is fully done with their responds before starting to type your own, its incredibly rude and shows that you either are not paying attention or don't care. Someone could be writing something important to the story and you would not catch it. Do not control others characters, I admit, I've done this a few times on accident, but I am getting better at it. It is considered power playing and Godmodding, and again, incredibly rude.

6. Of course, use it at your disposal love. Crediting me if it is used would be nice! Call me Crystal/Krissy, whichever you prefer.
Song of the Wild

Posted 2024-08-28 21:58:30
So for the reason I RP:

It started off as a coping mechanism, a means of escape from reality. I hated living in reality, so I started trying to escape through RP. It has now grown from that, into a way for me to formulate stories that I actually write!

And as for how I would define it, I would define it as working on a story with another person using different characters and a plot line that you and your partner come up with.

🦡 Peri 🦡 PROJECT RISING

Posted 2024-08-29 11:22:28
2. I RP to get away from irl problems. Since i was little i always liked to write little stories for characters in animes and what not as a way to get away from reality. Sorta like Peri!

3. For me, a good response is someone that can mirror my replies. I dislike one liners due to me not knowing a clue what to say after. So a good response is someone that can write atleast a paragraph including reactiveness so my character can act along with the other persons.

6. Im ok with anything! Have fun! And thank you for your time <3
⚜fLiP⚜

Posted 2024-08-29 19:21:22 (edited)
4) unspoken/unwritten rules
this is likely gonna be controversial so forgive my inability to explain this with grace lol but straight up.... i wholeheartedly believe that you need to be a 'skilled writer' to rp point blank period
i'm so sorry cuz i know that's such a bold statement (i know anyone can rp, but like there are different levels or rp in my brain hahahah)

when i would rp, the lackluster, barebones, one sentence responses would absolutely drain tf out of me because.... how do i respond to that. you've given me no substance to create a meaningful reply, so i had to do your heavy lifting and make something out of nothing
the other aspect of being a 'skilled writer' that i think is vital for rp-ing is descriptive words/word choice. lovely examples can come from basic actions that are being written about!
-"He walked across the bridge," ok cool i have the information that he has walked across the bridge
-or, "He ambled toward the bridge, his feet nearly dragging behind him as he stepped over the threshold where grass and wood met. As his eyes lifted from the planks, he was met with a blistering amber glare- shielding his face from the light with his hand. A brittle sigh escaped him and fog from the frigid air clouded his glasses." blah blahb lah but like look at all the imagery and context the person responding now has- this dude is crossing a bridge, but he is also tired or weary perhaps? and he seems to be walking during sunrise or sunset? and it appears to be cold since his cold breath fogged his glasses? so perhaps he is walking to work during the chilly morning sunrise? or maybe he lives in a cold climate and is walking to get his morning coffee? etc etc- now there is sustenance for the next person to work with!

i'm so overtired rn long day womp so again, i hope (pray plead cry) this isn't coming across too crass, hoping that i make sense hahaha i just remember the feralheart days where i'd get the most unimpressive, vacuous response and have to reallyyyyy bust my ass to find anything to work with hahahaha
thank you for listening and i really really hope i didn't offend, i think ppl know what i'm trying (and likely failing) to say <3

yes you can use my response in your project (if it holds any weight LMAOOO) credit me or don't i don't mind at all ! whatever works best for your project, i'm just excited to see more replies from others here!

Natsume

Posted 2024-08-30 19:06:30
2. Why do you rp? - For me Roleplay is sorta like reading your own book. I adore reading, and RP gives you an outlet to be in your very own book.
3. What makes a good rp response? Any specific aspects? Why do they help? - A good rp response depends on the person your playing with, its helpful to ask how short they like their replies and if they prefer the characters to meet in the first reply or not. (That was something I learned the hard way)
6. Are you okay with me using your input in my project? If so, would you like to remain anonymous? Would you like me to credit you? (alias only unless specified otherwise)* Yes I'm alright with it, and just use the name Addie

💋𝒜𝒹𝒹𝒾𝑒💋

Posted 2024-08-31 14:05:57
In simple terms, it's collaborative writing. While this is correct, roleplay in specific allows for a spontaneous element and gives people a chance to display their creations.

2. Why do you rp?
I began roleplaying as a way to participate in fandoms initially, however as I got older it became interlinked with many aspects of my life. Not only is it an amazing creative outlet, but it provides inspiration for other creative works and builds relationships with other's.

I've never been picky with how people write as I understand that everyone's style is different. Some people write a few sentences, other's may write multiple paragraphs - and both can be successful! What I believe is necessary for a good response however, is that you need to give your rp partner(s) something to grab onto in their own response - something to prompt interaction and keep it flowing nicely.

You shouldn't attack without permission, it is necessary to get an understanding of your partners comfort levels, and you need to be comfortable with change - your characters should develop over time! Each roleplay group will have different unspoken rules of roleplay etiquette - some more common than other's, but if you do not take the time to learn then not only will you not have fun, but you'll spoil it for other's too! Once settled into a group you should remember to be welcoming to newcomers; many rp's can get cliquey over time, which is often what kills it in the long run.

There are many different kinds of rp communities, and it's important for people to find what suits them best! Don't be afraid to experiment!

6. Are you okay with me using your input in my project? If so, would you like to remain anonymous? Would you like me to credit you? (alias only unless specified otherwise)*
I don't mind at all! I can simply be credited as Xenon or with my DeviantArt ---> link
Xen0n

Posted 2024-09-08 00:53:58

To me rps are not merely something one does as a hobby but rather a story that two or more individuals come together to craft, it can help bind others together in a world that can be cruel and unpredictable, rps can help us understand our inner most selves and what the other end wishes to convey, or even how they truly are as an individual. When one does an rp with me it means a lot to me for they chose to take time out of their day to craft a response to the rp, to help the story flourish.

2. Why do you rp?

I dealt with…a lot growing up and suffered in various situations where I wasn't allowed to voice my opinions or even feared revealing my face at given times, my mind tends to wonder and overwhelm me but without going into specifics of how dark my mental health tends to be, I found rps to be the safest outlet for me, to play as characters that voice my inner thoughts and even pain. It serves as a coping mechanism and has been my only form of socialization for some time, for someone like me who fails to understand how society functions and is seen as the individual most fear in the real world, rps can help create a comfortable environment. I tend to think more logically than most and struggle with feeling or understanding emotions, so for me rps help me understand how others may find themselves in various situations or environments; to feel as if I belong somewhere.

I learnt that one can write an entire essay and still fail to give the reader substance, to me rps are like stories and while I can work with anything given I put my mind to it, such as I was taught, I find that any story needs the appropriate amount of description. It's difficult for one to craft a reply when the other end gives only a single sentence for it lacks the substance of be something more. In the end I find it varies from each individual for no one writes in the same manner, but I learnt when one is able to describe: their character, the scene and character's thoughts or actions can create a far more enjoyable reply for it gives the other end something to build upon, to feel motivated to do the same.

One that I assumed others should have known due to it following towards the Golden Rule so to speak; never play as someone else's character or force the environment and assume what the other end wants. When it comes down to it I find it to be infuriating when someone plays as my character even if subtly doing so for I tend to have things mapped out for my characters, I give my characters a vast amount of layers, for the assuming portion of my character were to suffer mentally or physically I rather my partner not randomly create something to cure them instantly without discussing it first, from my experience no one wants the character they spent time creating to be controlled by another. I also may considered old school but I was taught when dealing with others one must tell them ahead of time if their may be delays in rps, ghosting has always been difficult for me to handle for it can take seconds to tell someone the rp may be delayed.

I learnt from experience that ooc can make a vast difference, it helps the partners understand the other and their desire for the rp, to understand them as an individual so if they were to vanish or ghost as I stated in the previous question, you can learn if it was uncharacteristic of them, we are all humans behind the screen afterall and it is nice to hear if the other end enjoys the rp once in a while.

You may use my input, I tend to go by Zyo, The Broken Fool or Daargo in most sites, mostly Zyo, The Broken Fool

ⱫɎØ, ₮ⱧɆ ฿ⱤØ₭Ɇ₦ ₣ØØⱠ

Search Topic