Skip to main content
Main Content

Event: Cataclysms

Posted 2024-08-05 14:17:46
I know i dont HAVE too but then again im trying to get the "new crypids" as fast as I can lol

Eri

Posted 2024-08-05 14:21:17
@Ninsun

Sometimes they update a lot, sometimes they just add a couple new bases. It's never consistent - this Cataclysms, I don't think they added anything except new apps/decor. Last year the map was updated with 3 new cryptids in each biome plus new apps/decor.

Whirligig

Posted 2024-08-05 14:23:29
@Whirligig thanks, good to know! I suppose the nice things about the way that the events are set up is that they're not obligatory, so if any of them get really boring on replaying I don't have to play them again. Though I've enjoyed all of them so far to greater or lesser extents, this one is definitely one of my favourites

Ninsun [🕯️Lights On 🎃]

Posted 2024-08-06 04:45:50 (edited)
I personally like the event. I skip quests where I have to fight The Merged Cryptids (I chose Kinfolk for now), do quests with helping 2 distressed animals, and for 3 distressed animals, I give it a chance. I do all the pther quests, well, except giving them Healing Salves because I need those for Lead Stat Grinding lol.

I understand though why this can be frustrating, especially for new players. I remember my first Cataclysm last year, where I....didn't like the event that much. I'd already played for like 5 months back then, but still didn't have more than 5000 SC, and I had to change my hunting parties and buy new wolves during that timespan, too. Skipping 2 or 3 quests wasn't a big deal, but in total, it really added up for me, and I never really had the ressources. I think my favourite quest were the distressed animals ones, because I didn't need to give away ressources, nor fight high level cryptids.

So in total, I LOVE the concept, like the event now, but I don't like how frustrating it can be for new players. I do understand though that that's not really easily fixable, because you can't just say "players who haven't rolled over fir more than 6 months (like only the dass they Rollen Ober count to the 6 motnhs) need to use less ressources, the cryptids are lower level, etc. ....", since different players progress differently and some might have invested real money to progress faster.
And I think adjusting it for everyone would, on the other hand, make it too easy (that is my personal opinion) for further progressed players, and items like applicators of this event would be worth a lot less.

And sorry for random questions during the discussion, but does anyone know if different cryptids drop different stats, or is it just random? Sometimes, I get very fitting stats, for example strength from the Alaskan Tiger, but I don't know, that could just be a coincidence, too.
Today, I just encountered the Hugag in the Deciduous Forest twice AMD was lucky that it dropped a stat both times; first strength, then wisdom (or the other way around).
Because if it isn't completely random what stats they drop, I'd love to start collecting information and make a grid for it or something, idk (anything in a format that would help LOL), and then post it to the Player Created Guides forum.

Random, unneccessary edit: Lol I just got the "First!" achievement for this, so I guess this was really worth writing something at last

Midnight

Posted 2024-08-06 05:03:21
The previous years, it was always retiring time for my lead. This year, my lead is 7 years 5½ months as for the moment I'm writing this and I have all biomes unlocked. Thank god because I like to collect achievements and last time it was incredibly frustrating that I could not get all the cryptids.
So far, it's going great - 21 and I will finally get the achievements...

Bluejay

Posted 2024-08-06 12:10:26
@Midnight

Each cryptid should have 2 stats to give, iirc! I can't remember what group was recording that, Grouse House maybe? You can probably find a spreadsheet somewhere if you want info about stats sooner.

Whirligig

Posted 2024-08-06 13:44:39
@Whirligig
Thanks, I'm going to start looking for a spreadsheet!

Midnight

Posted 2024-08-07 07:41:56
Hey everyone,

The rate for cryptid and other event encounters have been reported and also discussed here, so we'll repost what we've said in the bug report here.

While we initially stated that incidents are working correctly, upon further tests we found that they were not. This has now been fixed with some additional adjustments. tl;dr. version: you'll now have much higher chance of encountering cryptids and other event encounters with disasters and even more so with cataclysms, up to 2.5x more than before.

For full transparency, here's how it works:

Event encouters have a base 10% chance per step divided between cryptids and other event encounters such as distressed animals. This was how it worked before everywhere, and how it still works in areas free of incidents.

Previously, incidents slightly increased the rate of cryptid sightings, but they didn't increase the overall event encounter chance above 10% like they should, so the effect was minimal.

After this change, the chance for an event encounter (cryptid or other) increases to 18% with a disaster, and 25% with a cataclysm, so these should be noticeable. Incident-free areas are same as before.

Previously we also changed the number of cryptids and distressed animals needed for quests from 3 to 2.

This member is an Admin. Deader

Posted 2024-08-07 08:40:59
@Deader that's great news, thanks for letting us know!

pearl_fox

Posted 2024-08-07 09:46:04
@Deader that's some great news! Thank you for your hard work and transparency

canaridante